Sunday, September 14, 2008

amazing weekend...

I made it back from Texas safe! I had a great time visiting with the girls! Stefanie came and spent the night with us at Nana Net and Lori's on Thursday and then Friday we all went and shopped for my wedding dress!!!!! It was so much fun and I found the perfect dress. I can't say anything about it because I don't want Kyle to know what it looks like.
Friday evening we just stayed home and watched the news about Hurricane Ike. It looked like it was going to be horrible. I love Galveston and all the history it has so I was getting pretty sad thinking about all my memories from Galveston. My last trip there was just a few years ago when we went as a family to scatter Pops' ashes in the ocean ( he wanted a sea burial). We stayed at a great hotel that was really old but had been recently renovated yet still had an old time feel to it. The room my brother and I stayed in was amazing there were vaulted ceilings and a sitting area and gorgeous antique pieces all over the room. We also went to a restaurant right off the strand that was right by the cruise ship docks and hung out over the ocean. Both the hotel and restaurant are probably gone or at best just badly damaged. I went to bed Friday night hoping that when I woke up in the morning everything would be ok and the hurricane would've just turned around and went away. That didn't happen, however they say it was not nearly as bad as they thought it was going to be in Galveston. Houston was hit really hard too and the flooding there is bad. Its going to be months before things are ok again. I can not imagine living in a place where you have zero control over the weather and what can happen to your own home.
I'm thinking and praying for everyone in Texas, not just the coast but everyone in the surrounding cities and everyone who evacuated that will most likely not be going home anytime soon.

2 comments:

The Fiores said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I am glad you found a dress, it is so stressful trying on dress after dress and so relieving when you find the right one!

chels said...

forget your dress! i still wanna see mine :)